Mmmmmm.... Mmmmmelkkos!

Okay, here is my first post that is now my second post:

Last night, I decided to give a traditional South African recipe, called Melkkos, another go.  I tried this recipe a couple of years ago and the end result was a burnt milk, no lumps concoction - in this recipe no lumps is a disaster!  The recipe I used at that time came out of a traditional South African cookbook, called Kook en Geniet or the english version Cook and Enjoy.  I don't know if the reason for my original defeat was inexperience or if the recipe is to blame.  Nevertheless, last night I googled for a recipe and decided on the following one:

http://www.tastemag.co.za/Recipe-1280/Melkkos.aspx The recipe is by Maranda Engelbrecht on Woolies' Taste Mag website.

What is Melkkos you may ask?  Directly translated it means "milk food" - does not sound very flattering, does it?  It is traditionally served on a cold winters night either as a light meal or a dessert and may resemble the taste of a Milk tart but just in liquid form. 

Melkkos has a soft spot in my heart and brings back memories of cold Sunday evenings when my mom made this for us, while we were all gathered around the kitchen table.  Last night, was one those nights and I thought I will have to introduce my own family to this delectable memoir.

The end result?  Beautiful, lumpy, cinnamony Melkkos served in a sweet little tea cup.  I loved it and it was really easy to make.  This recipe makes quite a lot and I'm sure that you might be able to half this recipe.  First time Melkkos tasters opinion?  My husband:  I'd rather have milk tart.  Who wants cold milk tart on a cold winters evening? I asked.  Okay, how about Gluhwein? he answered.  Men!  :)  Jethro, my 4 year old, loved it but did not finish it.  It is quite deceivingly fulling. Micah (13 months) was too tired to try, but I'm sure he would have loved it.

I give this recipe a thumbs up!  Try it!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Gan dit probeer! Was nog altyd bang om dit te maak want netnou is dit nie so lekker soos ma sn nie:)
Shaz said…
So, het jy dit probeer? En hoe het dit uitgekom? Dankie vir die lees en die comments! Waardeer dit! Deel gerus bietjie idees met ons!

Popular posts from this blog

The BIG haircut

Any 5 year olds in the house? Please stand up!