Malawian Mission Trip - Day 2

Friday, 7th July 2017

Last night we spent the night at a mission station between Inchope and Chimoio.   We couldn't see much of the place, as we arrived in the night and left before dawn.

We had the privilege of meeting our hosts Roy and Trish who has been running the station there for more than 30 years.   They welcomed us with plates of warm food and everyone was very keen to make the acquaintance with their beds!



John made sure everybody was awake and ready, and after coffee and some rusks we were on our way....   At 4 am!

Most of us, had a little catnap and we awoke to find ourselves in a landscape dotted with little koppies, which contrasts with the  flat Southern Mozambique.

Northern Mozambique also seems a lot dryer.  In some places it looks like the bush is growing in desert sand.   Most of the rivers are completely dry. And lots of beautiful baobabs again.






We had our breakfast stop next to one of these giants.   Carl showed us the Baobab fruit and we all had a taste.   Not great tasting, but not foul tasting either, rather sour actually.   John told us that Creme of tartar is made from the Boabab seed.   Why on earth do they call it Creme of Tartar?   Apparently it's named after the Afrikaans name for the tree, Kremetart.  You learn something new
everyday.





Jonah was being difficult today. Being demanding and crying for everything.   Fortunately, I had some Rescue tablets in my bag and after two tablets, he seemed to calm down.

We just drove past another big, dry, riverbed.   It still had a little stream of water flowing down the one side and the rest of the riverbed was cultivated.   With what I don't know...   I would be very interested to find out.

As we are traveling north to Malawi, there is a mountain range on our left.   It's been there for a few hundred kilometers.   After some searching on the internet I find out that it is the Bvumba Mountains which seperates Mozambique from Zimbabwe.




We have another member who joined our team.   Last night, Adriano, joined our team.   He is a pastor in  Beira and will be helping on the mission.

Today, we were stopped twice by officials.   First time by migracio (the immigration police), and we all had to show our passports.   Second time they asked for the cars registration papers.

In Tete, as we stopped to fill up with petrol, I came across my first non English speaking person.   Non comprendo, I was told.   First time I've ever met someone who had no comprehension of the english language.

Tony and John went to the Bureau de Change to exchange our money into Malawian currency.   We stopped next to a government building and I proceeded to take some photos of the interesting unique building.   Next moment some government soldiers, motioned something like a T with their hands and Adriano (who speaks portuguese) explained that they wanted me to stop taking photos and that I must delete the pictures I took.






Tim went to go look for some pao, and came back with the famous portuguese bread rolls.   They tasted really fresh but are apparently like rocks the next day.   Tick, I had some pao.   Which literally  translates to bread.



Tete has quite an impressive bridge crossing over the mighty Zambezi.   I have been to lake Kariba, and have been on the Kariba dam wall between Zambia and Zimbabwe, but it was the first time that I've seen this famous river, in all it's glory! Absolutely massive, looks like ships can sail on it.   I will have to get a closer look another time, for now it's onwards to Malawi!



We arrived at the Malawian border and sorted out all the necessities.   Tony paid 300 kwatchas to use the bathroom - it sounds like a lot, but is R6.  But still, it probably would have been better if he just used a bush, it was such shocking condition!

Pastor Lemson and a member of his church, Moses, met us at the border and accompanied us to Lilongwe where we will be staying at pastor Lemson's  house.   We arrive in the dark and a beautiful girl with a kind smile opens the gate.   Her name is Patience, Pastor Lemson's oldest daughter.  We also get welcomed by Joyce, Lemson's wife, and their other kids, Precious, Praise and Peace, as well as Lemson's nephew George.

I am going to be completely honest here and not sugar coat my impressions when arriving in Lilongwe.  Please do not be offended.

We are shown the house and at first I am in a state of what I would think of as culture shock. It is so different to what we are used to.  I am literally in despair to think that we would have to spend almost 9 days in our little room, sharing a little bathroom and toilet with nineteen other people - it takes a lot of effort to keep a straight face.  I  literally feel like bursting into tears but I remind myself that this is what I signed up for.  It's one thing to think about doing something and this is what I expected... but it's another thing altogether actually experiencing it.

We are called to supper, and Joyce took a pitcher of warm water which she poured over each persons hands in turn, in order to wash it.   Quite a lovely custom, which I wouldn't mind adapting in my house.  We are served rice and a delicious stew, which looks quite appetising.   I was just about to dig in, when Wendy whispered to me that it was goat!  I have never eaten goat before and have always thought they are there for milking purposes only.  I am a bit hesitant to try it and I dish two little cubes of goat, wanting to set a good example to my boys.   After all, I gave them a lecture about the different food we may experience and that we should try everything and be thankful.   Well, easier said and done.   The thought of eating goat overwhelms me and I can't get myself to eat it.   I give it to Tony...   He happily accepts.   He didn't know what it was, but just assumed it was goat.  This also made me have more compassion for the boys and I wasn't too hard on them when they struggled to adapt to a strange diet.

Then it's off to bed and I started counting the days that were left before we go home. And praying that God will help me get through it... with a smile on my face...  keeping my eyes on the goals...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mmmmmm.... Mmmmmelkkos!

The BIG haircut

Any 5 year olds in the house? Please stand up!