Malawian Mission Trip - Day 3

Today found me in better spirits and I decided to put a smile on my face and enjoy this experience, this opportunity that has been laid before me.

After breakfast, we all head to the center of Malawi.  We need to exchange our Rands for Kwatchas, and get Malawian sim cards.  Jethro and Micah begs me to stay at the house with Joyce and Patience.  I am a bit hesitant but both Joyce and Patience assure me that they will be fine.  I oblige, but still feel a bit uneasy.  "It will only be for a little while," I tell myself and we leave.

The dusty streets of Lilongwe are filled with people wherever you look.  Lots of people walking, riding bicycles, moving goods on bicycles - one guy had a stack of wood piled on his bicycle probably about 3 meters high!  We even saw a carcass of a cow being transported on a bicycle.  The shops' sign boards are interesting, clever and humorous.  Bustling, little markets all over the place, selling anything you can think of.  We get approached by some Malawian artists at the parking lot where we stopped.  They show us their paintings and postcards.  Everyone has a huge smile on their face.



After we've exchanged our money and got sim cards, we head back to the bus.  Jonah is fascinated by the little tuk-tuks all around, which serve as a type of taxi.  We approach a driver and manage to ask him for a ride around the parking lot.  He agrees and Tony, Jonah and myself pile into the backseat.  Jonah laughs and giggles all along - he loved it so much.  The taxi driver doesn't want to charge us but Tony gives him 500 Kwatchas (R10).



I am under the impression that we are on our way home, but Lemson has other plans. We get taken to a tower of sorts, and a monument of the first president of Malawi, Dr Hastings Kamuzu Banda. An interesting, accomplished man. He was the leader of Malawi from 1961 to 1994 (for the first three years of his rule, until it achieved independence in 1964, Malawi was the British protectorate of Nyasaland) - thank you Wikipedia.



We climb to the top of the tower, well, almost the top. I am very anxious, as it is high, with huge gaps in the railings and Jonah is with me and he doesn't realise the danger. Tony goes on to the highest level but I decide to stop, much to the objection of Jonah. I had to sit down, and get Jonah to sit down with me. It is windy up there and it feels like the ground below is pulling me down. I am much relieved when everyone is finished with their sightseeing and we could go down.








Okay, so now we can go home (anxious mommy thinking of her two boys in a strange country)... But no, seems like Lemson is on a mission himself, to aquaint us with Malawi's history. Our next stop is the final resting place of Dr Hastings Kamuzu Banda. An impressive mausoleum. I have a look around but I am tired and really just want to go home.




We finally get home and I am overjoyed to see my boys. They are alive and well with dirt and dust covering them from head to toe. But alive and well. They look a little bit happy and relieved to see us too, but when asked if they missed us... No, not a bit. Micah had quite a story to tell: Apparently he went to the market with George (aaaahhh, I did not say he was allowed to do that but I'll let it go) and bought some chickens. When they got home, Micah held one of the chickens whilst George proceeded to slaughter it. Horror of horrors!!! Micah is an animal lover of note and I thought he would be quite affected by the killing of the chicken, but he took it in his stride, as if he knew that this was not cruelty to animals but where the people get their meat from and a different way of life. We also get our chickens the same way (actually I think the poor chickens we eat has a much harder life than the Malawian chickens). And tonight, guess what we're having for supper?

The chicken is tough, tough, tough but hey it's free-range organic chicken, right? I really struggle with the food and I am happy that there is lots of rice. The Malawian rice is delicious. It tastes like basmati rice, but it is their own locally grown rice. I definitely need to bring some home.

After supper, our mission team meets to chat about the next day's proceedings and we close with some scripture and prayer. We are here, in Malawi, on a mission, it is happening! Thank you Jesus!

PS Something I forgot to mention yesterday... The kids have to take their malaria medication once every week and it happened to be the Friday when we arrived at Lemson's house. Our first night, in a strange house, with new people... Jethro and Micah had no problems with swallowing the ghastly, bitter pill but Jonah on the other hand... it sounds like we are killing the poor child! The next morning, a few people were concerned and asked after Jonah's banshee outburst.  They were happy to see that he was still alive and breathing and all smiles.  Malaria tablets...  what malaria tablets?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mmmmmm.... Mmmmmelkkos!

The BIG haircut

Any 5 year olds in the house? Please stand up!