Malawi Mission Trip - Day 5



I finally have lake Malawi sand on my feet and Lake Malawi water in my hair. And another tick on my bucket list.

We were told that we were going to leave very early this morning to go see the lake. We left at 10h30... African time in action. 

Now that I am here and experiencing life as most African's do, I can understand African time... There is no convenience of just jumping into your car, no washing machine, you have to warm your water over the fire, kill and slaughter your supper... The list is never ending. I take my hat off to Joyce, who is supplying our every need. Warm water to bath, cooked breakfast, lunch and supper. So, no more rolling my eyes at African time. 

After a breakfast of fried eggs and bread, we hit the road to Lake Malawi - about a 2 hour drive from Lilongwe. We share out songs with the Malawians and end up having a nice little choir in the back of the bus. We enter an area named Salima, the rice province. Unfortunately we didn't get to see some rice plantations in action, but I'm definitely going to take a bag of Malawian rice back home with me. It's seriously tasty. 

When we arrive at Sunbird resort in Livingstonia, a beautiful oases in the dry bush awaits us. A complete contrast to what I've seen of Malawi so far. Lush, green grass against snow white walls. Thatched sunshades dotted along the beach and the awe-inspiring lake spread out before us... Inviting us to come frolic in it's waters. 




No second invitation needed, we wasted no time to get to the water. The waves almost big enough to allow for a body board. It is kind of strange to be swimming in something that looks like the ocean, yet it's not salty. The water is refreshing but not cold, balmy enough to spend your day there.  













It was a fine day and I felt very privileged to see the lake, as it wasn't on our agenda but Lemson made a plan to show it to us when he heard that we wanted to go explore the lake sometime... We've been wanting to do an island hopping safari on Lake Malawi for years and we will still do it sometime, just not this time.  It was enough to see the lake this time and we will definitely be back for another adventure on this natural wonder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mmmmmm.... Mmmmmelkkos!

The BIG haircut

Any 5 year olds in the house? Please stand up!